Thursday, November 17, 2011

Special Assignment Additional Post # 1

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor? I believe I missed this metaphor because I took it too literal. I think I definitely over looked what Mr. Spencer was referring to in this post. I thought way to hard on it being a deeper subject then what was meant. By taking the post to literal I skipped over it being a metaphor referring to technology and not real pencils. The fact pencils were mentioned and it was an article could also have thrown me off. I'm not one to use a lot of metaphors, but by having it explained in greater detail helped me catch it the next time I reread it. I will now know how to spot metaphors and to think outside of the "box" next time. Rereading the post changing the pencils to computers I was able to understand and interpret it a lot better than before.
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I have encountered them in Mr. Winkle Wakes, and Don't take home the pencils.
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?  I think as Educators we can help teach and understand the metaphors to students by talking about them. We should explain what a metaphor is,what the purpose of using metaphors are, and how to use them correctly. We could also teach them hot to spot out metaphors and the information we are needing to know. Having your class write and develop their own metaphors and discussing them could also provide help in learning and understanding.
4. Why do we use metaphors? I think we use metaphors to make a statement, article, or paper humorous. To discuss information without giving all the needed information. They help draw an interest to the writing and reading of the topic.  To also make you think outside of the "box", and reading between the lines of the real problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment